Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mayberry, RFD


After reading about Carrie P.'s trip to Pilot Mountain, Dear Hubby and I decided that was where we needed to go for our last weekend off before high school football started with a vengence. We had a great time. We didn't actually go to Pilot Mountain State Park but we did hit a lot of their shops in just the cutest little downtown.

The first place we went was Pilot Mountain Peddlars. What a great prim shop!






Dear Hubby took a picture of Tammy and me ..... Tammy looked great, me not so much ....so I left it off. Hey, it's my blog. Here is a picture of what I bought at Tammy's instead.


Pilot Mountain had three antique shops, a country store, and several restaurants all on one street. What a great way to spend the afternoon. We ate lunch at Sopper's Restaurant. Excellent, excellent food but service was a little slow. They are fairly new and don't think they anticipated enough servers or cooks.


After hanging out in Pilot Mountain for several hours, we went up to Mt. Airy, about a 10 minute drive north. Mt. Airy is also known as Mayberry, home of Andy Griffith. A good portion of the show was based on this town. We went to their downtown which had a lot of cute shops, also. They had a primitive shop called Mayberry Primitives, Opie's Candy Store, Floyd's Barber Shop, the Bluebird Cafe (we went in and got Rootbeer Floats and a Malt) plenty of gift shops with Mayberry-touristy stuff.

After settling in at our hotel, we wandered way down the road to Cody Creek for dinner. It's just below the town of Dobson. It was a good 20 minute drive away but what a place. Here is the entrance drive. You have to go through this to get there.


They have a wedding chapel.....


A beautiful gazebo.....


A general store.....


And a great restaurant.


These pictures were taken the next day. We drove back down just to take pictures but it was worth it. We really couldn't see anything the night before. The food was excellent and you couldn't beat the atmosphere. Inside the restaurant was even nicer. Very laid back and casual dining. Inside they had a diarama with a waterfall, black bear, deer, etc. They had a separate smoking area no where close to the non-smoking area (I don't get that sometimes but that's for another day.). The smoking area was decorated like a wine cellar. They had a LARGE dining room that had a floor to ceiling stone fireplace. On either side of the fireplace, they had about 6' diameter wagon wheels that were windows. Wish I had taken a picture of that. The room was banquet style and probably could hold 200-300 people. At the other end was a HUGE projection screen tv. Easily 15 feet long.


After writing this post, I found it was much too long. I cut it in half and wrote another one to be posted on Friday morning. So ya'll come back now, ya hear? Sorry, that was the Beverly Hillbillies.

Blessings, Cathi

10 comments:

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Beautiful pictures!

Janene said...

What an awesome place!

Micki said...

Beautiful pics..what awesome places yyou visited!
Micki

Anonymous said...

I live this close and still haven't been. I had read Carrie's bit before and wanted to go now here is yours....seriously need to get there!

Karen said...

I'm a covered bridge fanatic. I enjoyed the photos!

Kris ~ Simply Prim said...

Looks like a great place to visit! I've been to N. Carolina many times (we stay at a villa my sister owns on Bald Head Island)and have seen Pilot Mountain as we travel on I-77 or I-74 (don't remember which one). We'll have to take a detour the next time and check out those great prim stores!!
Thanks for sharing!!

Take care,
~Kris~

kim@ A Thyme Remembered said...

Thanks for sharing your time with your hubby!! It sounds like a very nice time in a great place!!!

Carrie P. said...

Looks like you two had a great time. We went in the Pilot Mt. Peddlers too. I really liked that shop.
I guess we will have to make a trip to Dobson somtime.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Good morning! I have been to Pilot Mountain and Mayberry once many years ago.I 'd love to go back! Especially now that I know there is a nice prim store there!

LOL it was about 20 years ago that I stenciled the stairs the first time too. It was alot easier when I was 34!

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Looks like a perfect place to spend time together. love all the architecture, and your little doll is just the cutest.

Hugs, Carrie