Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Are they nuts? . . . You betcha . . . .

We (meaning Dear Hubby and Computer Geek) spent this past weekend getting rid of this.  We've had plenty of people informing us we were nuts for taking it out.


It had a mantle on top, a large 5" x 5" piece of cedar, but I forgot to take the first "before" picture.  This fireplace would have looked great if the room were twice as big or had a cathedral ceiling.  It was just too massive for the space.


 So before I get any "Are you nuts?" from anyone, let me explain.  These pictures were taken from my kitchen doorway.  The living room is only 13' across. The room is more like a bowling alley. . . . 13' x 24'.  We never have been able to arrange the furniture the way we were comfortable with it.



And the hearth.......it was just stone sitting on the floor.  You couldn't decorate it with anything cute.  Nothing would sit level.


And the dust from the woodburning heater...........Aaahhh.  The blower used to be a variable speed.  Now it is just two speeds.....on and off.


So right now there is just a big hole in the wall.  Notice the underlayment.  Big changes are coming to the floor.  There was carpet.  10 year old carpet that had survived 4 kids, 6 dogs, 2 cats, 2 rabbits and a husband.  Of course, I never spilled anything on the floor !!

Hopefully in two weeks, I'll be able to show more pics of the progress. 


  On the quilting front, stay tuned.  I've got some big changes coming!


Blessings, Cathi

11 comments:

Michelle said...

I love that quilt!

Terry said...

You're right...that was a big bunch of stone for such a small room! Are you leaving the fireplace? Love the quilt too! :0)

Karen said...

I am waiting to see what you do with the fireplace. Should be interesting. I will take your word for it that the fireplace just did not work in the room.

Lynn said...

Interesting what you've done. We have a similar problem large fireplace with a wood stove and small room. Also a screened porch on the only outside wall which makes the room dark. I want to break through to the room in front of it that we never use and make one big room. I told my husband one day after he leaves for work I'm going to get the sledge hammer out and do it myself! Big changes - exciting!

Carrie P. said...

Love the quilt. Can't wait to see what you all come up with to take the stoves place.

Anonymous said...

I like changes...looking forward to a possible announcement from you?! Wanna tell me early? Hee!!
I'm surprised you left ladder and quilt on the wall with all that commotion so close by. They must be neat and tidy. Hee!!

paulette said...

Wow!! Sew exciting!!
Paulette

Teresa said...

OH my gosh..what a job that must have been. So what big changes are you planning - inquiring minds want to know!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Looks better already - can't wait to see the finished project! And, I'm excited to hear about your coming changes!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I am in awe of the fireplace project! I wouldn't have the guts to do it, but I bet the new look of the room will be outstanding. Love the flag quilt, too; can't wait to see what is coming up!

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

I won't say your nuts, I'll say good for you! I think you'll be so glad you did it. We have a long living room too and I still don't know what to do with it! It can be very frustrating at times.

You made me laugh out loud when you said "Of course, I never spilled anything on the floor !!". I actually blamed a spill on the kids once. Lol!