Thursday, January 7, 2010

January Challenge.....

Since I won the December Challenge with the Charming Girls Quilt Club (and finished two quilts to boot), I am really excited to forge ahead with January's.

First is a quilt for Dear Hubby.  I had started collecting fabrics over 10 years ago.  They were a little harder to find and I had no idea at the time what pattern I was going to make with them.  I finally found a pattern (Toad in the Puddle by Mary Ellen Hopkins, I think) and cut it all out 4 years ago!



I finished one block to see how it would go together.  What was I thinking way back then.!??  They are all flannels. They stretch.  The flying geese are made with cut triangles instead of my beloved 4 x Flying Geese ruler.  I don't think a single point was saved.  They were all chopped off.  I'm just going to muster through this and make it with some of my sloppiest piecing ever........but finished is better than perfect.  For January, I will be happy to finish the top.




Project #2 is to complete the January row for my BOM, Thoughts of Christmas.






Project #3 is to re-design and complete the top of a Cheri Payne project to hang in my foyer. Cheri's project is 8" x 20".  I need it to be wider so I will add a row to the side and maybe another row to the bottom.  We'll see how it turns out.

 




I also have a quilt to cut out by January 22nd for a class on the 23rd but I won't count that as a project.  That has to be done regardless.  One of my BFFs is teaching the class.  How embarrassing for her if I showed up for class and wasn't prepared!

Blessings, Cathi

10 comments:

Darlene said...

Awesome goals - as usual I'll be right here cheering you on.

Karen said...

The flannel quilt will be "prim style". Enjoy the piecing and don't fret if things aren't perfect.

joan said...

You can do it Cathi! I say as long as you enjoy the moment it is all worth it regardless of the little flaws!
Happy sewing!

Sharon said...

Remember to enjoy the process! These are wonderful projects and your hubby will love his quilt...flaws and all! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo.. I see that Cheri in there :o)

Little Lady Patchwork said...

WoW! I wish that I could complete that many project!

I can't wait to see all of them, especially the quilt for your hubby. I have never worked w/flannels before so you will have to update us on the process. Just think how warm and snuggly your quilt will be for this upcoming cold weather!

Behind My Picket Fence said...

I really love your toad in a puddle block and the piecing looks pretty good too even if you're not the happiest with it. I have only one thing to say: starch is our friend. It would really tame those old flannels. How's that for some advice you didn't ask for?? It'll be a great quilt and can't wait to see it.

kimmie's quilt's said...

great project i cant wait to see your quilt! kimmie

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Wonderful projects for this month, Cathi! I especially love the block for your hubby's quilt! I'll be looking forward to seeing them all finished up!

AnitaB said...

Your BFF is just so proud that you are in the class! She can't wait for the day of fun!